logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] RFC: naming unnamed roads

From Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de on Thu Apr 30 15:05:03 BST 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 30, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> This happens when
> 1) an unnamed service road or footway is connecting the house with a road named xyz
> 2) unnamed cylceways / footways are  between the house and the named road
> 3) typos in the addr:street tag or the mkgmap:street tag prevent a clear match,
> e.g. the road is named "Alte Chausseestraße" and  the houses have
> (probably wrong) "Alte Chaussestraße" (single e),
> or the addr:street tag is completely wrong, means, no street with a name like
> that is close.
> 4) a named road is close to one side of the house but an unnamed track/footway
> is closer on an other side.
[...]
> Any ideas ?

I would do the following:
1) is clear, use the service road or footway.
2) if they are not 1), ignore them and put the address on the
   named road. Because, most of the time in reality, there are
   connections between the named road and the footway, but the mapper
   didn't add them. Since the footway is somehow connected with the
   named road, you can end up with a 4.5km detour. I had that on Sunday,
   when I used a POI as destination for routing ...
   If the ways are not connected somewhere, you have routing islands and
   you will get a routing error, which is as worse.
3) I would ignore the house and write it as error in the log files, so that
   somebody can fix the wrong street name.
4) Since you calculates the distance between the house and the roads,
   you could calculate the distance between the two points of the roads,
   too. If this is larger as the distances between the house and both
   roads, use the named road.

  Thorsten

GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)