logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] RFC: naming unnamed roads

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Apr 30 14:44:53 BST 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 09:14:58AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> 2) unnamed cylceways / footways are  between the house and the named
>> road
>
>In the US, only car roads tend to get real names.  Major cycleways do
>get names but that's more like a proper name for the cycleway than an
>address.

It is mostly the same in Finland, and I would guess in most part of
Europe.

The general assumption would seem to be that the street names attached
to house addresses belong to roads that are reachable by car, or that
each residence is reachable by car. Maybe in some rare case there is
some access restriction on the road associated with the address, such as
access=destination. There could be named cycleways or footways between
the road and the address node, but no named public roads with a
different name, unless there is an error in the map data.

>>3) typos in the addr:street tag or the mkgmap:street tag prevent a
>>clear match, e.g. the road is named "Alte Chausseestraße" and  the
>>houses have (probably wrong) "Alte Chaussestraße" (single e), or the
>>addr:street tag is completely wrong, means, no street with a name like
>>that is close.
>
>This is a data bug and should be addressed by QA tools in OSM.  I
>suggest ignoring it in mkgmap.   Or if you don't, implement a fuzzy
>match and output a warning, and be very clear that this is a workaroudn
>for data bugs.

If there is a fuzzy match, it should be attempted only if a full match
fails. There could be similarly named ways near to each other, such as
Mäyräkuja and Myyräkuja (only one letter difference).

	Marko