logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] incompatibility with Garmin eTrex 30

From Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de on Fri Apr 17 19:02:02 BST 2015

Hi,

I have a question about Garmin device compatibility.

I'm generating maps from openstreetmap for my garmin devices, using the
workflow

  * download several pbf map segments as needed for the next trip
    (usually from www.geofabrik.de )
  * combining them into one pbf file with osmosis
  * split it with splitter
  * convert the split fragments into garmin format with mkgmap

The resulting gmapsupp.img works well on my very old Garmin eTrex
Venture Cx , all functions as expected including address search.

But on my new Garmin eTrex 30, the address search does not find streets
(sometimes 3 or 4 of them). It does display streets in the map view
including their correct street names. You can point onto a street and it
mentions it's correct name. But address search does not find Streets in
most cases. Only a very little number of streets gets known to the device.

Any hint or idea about the problem or how to fix it?

regards
Hadmut