logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] addr:place support

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Apr 4 15:44:54 BST 2015

Hi Andrzej,

> not much help from me, but some observations.
>
> If you add a name to a road, then it will be visible on GPS. I find it
> quite interesting, to know place name on nuvi, displayed as a road. But
> it would be wrong, if road would have names outside village area. So
> your algorithm should limit names to area near buildings.
Good point. I'll try to implement that, but I see some possible problems
with the current data flow.

> If road has no name but ref number, it is usually displayed as a shield
> with number. I would prefer to preserve this shield. You could for
> example add place name as secondary label after finalize stage. Actually
> you could do it for a road with proper name too.
Yes, tried that (the latte) already. Have not found a solution that shows
the right name in address search and name+shield on the map.
I think you found the same result.
I'll try again with roads that only have a ref if I find a way to split
roads.

> Building with addr:place are usually scattered at random. If you add
> numbers to multiple road segments, you can create layout, where GPS
> interpolating numbers will finds the same number in multiple segments.
In the branch mkgmap has a detection for this "random" case and
it creates no interpolation numbers when the random case is detected.

> In my opinion, addr:place is a good candidate for point addressing. I
> have written about it: create short line at the point coordinates and
> attach house number and place name to it.
I thought about this and I think it doesn't work in maps which support
routing. If fear when I add "invisible" and roads and don't add them to the
routing network routing to such an address will not work.
Maybe I'll try that out when the rest is done.