logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] roadspeed in default style

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Fri Mar 13 11:35:31 GMT 2015

Oh - the only thing could be if maxspeed=none is used in places where the
limit is actually lower than 120.. AND if it's a motorway or in some
countries a highway=trunk (cause on no higwhay=primary such a limit would
be in general speaking drivable). So the question is - does this actually
happen in the database? Are there countries where maxspeed=none is entered
for roads where 100 is the real practical limit? In that case of course we
would need a country list to set maxspeed=none to road_speed=6 or 5.

On 13 March 2015 at 12:31, Felix Hartmann <extremecarver at gmail.com> wrote:

> It does not matter whether it's unlimited, 200, 140 or 130... It all
> translates to road-speed=7 which is the highest level that we can give
> (which in itself is something like 115-130 depending on your GPS
> device/Basecamp/Mapsource). There is no real unlimited maxspeed in garmin
> maps (except for the new map format - which mkgmap cannot write anyhow).
>
> On 12 March 2015 at 21:38, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>

>> Bernd Weigelt <weigelt.bernd at web.de> writes:

>> asap
>> >
>> > Hmmh, but i have some questions
>> >
>> > Example a motorway in Germany, tagged with maxspeed=none
>> >
>> > maxspeed=none      { set maxspeed=140 }
>> > ok, i unterstand what this rule does
>>
>> I guess the trick is to figure out how to map the rules and other tags
>> to what speeds are reasonable to assume.  This seems like a place where
>> a tag that indicates typical speed would be useful; locals can set it to
>> what speeds most traffic is normally at, which is really what routing
>> wants to know.
>>
>> But assuming unlimited motorways are 130 or 140 does not sound crazy to
>> me; uncongested Interstates in low-enforcement US states are like that.

> --
> Felix Hartman - Openmtbmap.org & VeloMap.org
> Floragasse 9/11
> 1040 Wien
> Austria - Österreich

Floragasse 9/11