logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] address search and mixed index

From Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de on Thu Feb 26 09:55:07 GMT 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> maybe you can help me with an open problem. I am not sure sure if this is
> a case of "garbage-in -> garbage-out" or not.
>
> I see a lot of houses with plausible tags addr:housenumber and addr:street
> which are close to a road that has no name or a different name.
>
> A typical example is a village like Stühren:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/378300184#map=17/52.89235/8.71508
>
> Almost all buildings are all tagged with addr:street="Stühren",
> but the main road through the village is the L340:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/26701165
> which has no name and many buildings are close to it.

I'm pretty sure that this is a bug in the OSM data.
According to several source the L340 in Stuehren is called "Stuehren", too.
I had that already in my old hometown: at some point in the past somebody
did remove the street names from all streets, which are B* or L*.

> I think the postal address for these buildings is really something like
> "Stühren 28, 27211 Bassum,Germany"

Yes, that's correct.

> With trunk and r3477 in the housenumber2 branch I see rather bad results
> for this  because the housenumbers are only added to those roads that
> have the name "Stühren".
> I wonder if the housenumber option should add the name "Stühren" to
> (a part of) L340 ?

Adding the name to a part of L340 would be the right thing. But
this should be done in the OSM data, not by mkgmap.

My problem with the automatic mkgmap approach is: there are
enough cases, where you cannot reach from such a road the building.

  Thorsten

GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)