logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mixed index branch merge

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sat Feb 14 15:03:38 GMT 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 01:23:18PM +0100, Colin Smale wrote:
>The stopword processing should be language-specific and not (solely)
>based on admin boundaries... One man's stopword is another man's
>significant proper name.

Sure, but I would guess that there is an admin boundary around a
bilingual or multilingual area where you would not want to use the
normal stopwords for any of the languages.

Generally, I would agree with you that country!=language, and I dislike
misusing a national flag for designating language.

But, we are only talking about official street name signs here. Can you
think of any actual examples where one language's stopword is another
language's significant proper name? Such that both languages can be used
in the street name signs within the same admin boundary?

>In the latter case the roads still end up in the right place in the
>index when searching. There is another aspect as well: multi-part
>street names, often using titles and personal names of local heroes.

Right. In the languages that I am aware of (other than Spanish and
French and maybe Italian), the stopwords tend to be at the end, not at
the start of the name. But still, you would not want to get a lot of
"[stopword], local hero name" entries somewhere in the index, for each
name="local hero name [stopword]" entry.

	Marko