logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Railway tracks drawn around station buildings

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Feb 9 13:28:06 GMT 2015

Hi Greg,

I have no idea how the carto stylesheet works. I don't even know how it looks like.
I guess this is used by the http://www.openstreetmap.org renderer?
Please explain more detailed what you mean and how we could use it.

reg. options:
I agree that the defaults are not very useful, esp. if you want a routable map.
I see no simple way to change that without creating trouble for existing users.
One idea:
We might provide a few commented sample configuration files, e.g.
one for car-routing , one for bicycle-routing, and one without routing.

Gerd

From: gdt at ir.bbn.com
To: popej at poczta.onet.pl
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 07:31:54 -0500
CC: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Railway tracks drawn around station buildings

Andrzej Popowski <popej at poczta.onet.pl> writes:

> i always have treated default style as an example, not a real part of
> mkgmap program. I have assumed that some simplifications in this style
> are allowed ;)

I think that's a major bug.  The default style should the equivalent of
the released carto stylesheet and be the best known way to make a
reasonable broadly-usable translation of the database.

In general, mkgmap has been unnnecesarily hard to use; best practice
involves giving lots of options.  I realize  this doesn't 10% make
sense, but running it with essentially no options and the default style
should get the standard result (thought to be best for some group of
normal users with normal devices).