logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] how to use utf-8 in stderr output

From Walter Schlögl Walter.Schloegl-Resch at aon.at on Wed Jan 14 18:26:43 GMT 2015

Hi Steve and Gerd,

yes, you got me right. I was talking about stderr output where echo messages are printed.

I have tried the following (under Windows):

%JavaPath% -Xmx6144m -ea -jar -Dlog.config=%OptionsPath%\logging_properties.txt
%ToolPath%\mkgmap\mkgmap.jar  -c %OptionsPath%\%mkgmap_options%
--mapname=%mapid%  --overview-mapname=%overview_mapname%
--family-id=%family_id%  --product-id=%product_id%
--gmapsupp %mkgmap_filename%
%StylesPath%\%StylesFile%  2>>%LogfileName%

content of logging_properties.txt is:

java.util.logging.FileHandler.encoding=UTF-8
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.encoding=UTF-8

I am still getting outputs of echo "name='${name}'” as: ‘??????? ??????’
if the char set is not part of 1252 (e.g. for greek letters)

I think I did not fully understand your hint with the logging properties.

Walter