logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] addr:place and housenumbers

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Dec 15 09:00:53 GMT 2014

Hi Andrzej,

> I like this addition to style, but I can't estimate, how many roads
> would get names. I think there are some regions, where streets in a city
> lack names. It could be wrong to force names to multiple streets in a
> dense urban area. Probably this addition should be used with care and
> maybe enabled per country?
Good point, I also wondered about the side effects.

> Or maybe place name could be added to a street as secondary label? For
> example streets with ref number could get additional label and ref in a
> shield would remain as a visible name.
Yes, sounds like a good idea.

> I have looked at some addr:place in Poland. Unfortunately there is no
> boundaries with admin level >= 8 for these places and level 7 would be
> too generic. Addition in style alone won't be sufficient.

I agree. I wanted to split the problem into two:
1) find a way to name all unnamed roads in hamlets/small villages
the patch solves this, but has too many side effects
2) find a way to compute the boundaries if they are missing

So, I think I'll start again with my 1st idea.