logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] addr:place and housenumbers

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Thu Dec 11 20:24:36 GMT 2014

Hi Gerd,

some time ago I asked if anybody is interested in adding place
boundaries to the precompiled boundaries
(http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2013q2/018003.html).

I never got a feedback (apart from you) about that so I didn't realize it.

Your idea expands my idea in creating virtual bounds on the fly based on
node data. My personal opinion is that this supports insufficient
tagging - polygons for hamlets should be created in the OSM DB if are
required - but there seem to be regions where evaluating this tagging
might improve address data a lot.

My ideas for your thoughts:
For step 2 you can use an algorithm that creates the smallest polygon
around the node set. I don't remember a name of such an algorithm but
you should find one on wikipedia. After that you can increase the
polygons to march upon the neighbour hamlet polygon with an upper
expansion limit (500m?).

This step might also be perfomed while preprocessing the bounds so it
will not decrease the map creation time very much.

WanMil