logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] A few thoughts on non-rectangular tiles

From GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Dec 11 10:20:58 GMT 2014

Hi Steve,

If I got it right, we need these changes:
1) an option to pass the polgon(s) to mkgmap.
I don't know which format is good for this. In splitter we use the OSM
(xml, o5m, pbf) format to pass named polygons (with --polygon-desc-file)
or the *.poly format (with --polygon-file ) from
osmosis which doesn't allow named polygons.
I think it would be good to have a file containing the country
borders so that one can use options like --polygon-desc-file
in combination with an include/exclude list e.g. --include-countries=abc,xyz
and --exclude-countries=...
Another useful option woud be to have groups, e.g. all drive-on-left
countries.

2) A class to store the intersection of the tile bbox and the
polygon(s) which also implements the Clipper interface
and maybe more. I call it PolygonClipper for now.
If performace matters, we can implement a spatial index here.

3) All classes that use the tile bbox, e.g.
the hooks like SeeGenerator, UnusedElementsRemoverHook,
LocationHook etc. have to use
the PolygonClipper methods instead of a check against the bbox.
Esp. we have to make sure that the boundary nodes are okay.
4) The classes implementing Clipper should use the PolygonClipper
(or they are replaced by it)

I think we can split the work so that one implements the user interface
for the polygon handling and one implements the clipping algos.
Do you see anything else to do?

Gerd

GerdP wrote