logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Assertion error with r3350

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Fri Nov 21 09:38:14 GMT 2014

Hi Gerd

> I wondered why the patched version produces slightly smaller img
> files. If I got that right, the reason is that street numbers and phone
> numbers containing a "-"  are encoded as "simple number" now ?

Yes simple numbers are stored two to a byte in base 11 with '-' being
the digit after 9 so takes about half the number of bytes. If it is
stored as a label, you have the lbl pointer, 3 bytes, plus the null
byte. For a ten digit number you save about 9 bytes by encoding it as
a simple number. Not much but it might add up to enough to save a block.
Or do you think that there is a problem?

This bug has been there ever since the code was added in 2009!

..Steve