logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Optimizing MapSplitter

From Andrzej Popowski popej at poczta.onet.pl on Wed Nov 12 22:19:13 GMT 2014

Hi Gerd,

I have prepared a tile in a way you have suggested. See files here:
http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/224/test.7z

Archive include following maps:
29483019.img - map compiled by mkgmap with mkgm-test.bat
29483018.img - map recompiled by cGPSmapper with TreSize=511
29483017.img - map recompiled by cGPSmapper with default TreSize

I have included OSM data and mp source too. You can create img for
device using included mk_device.bat.

My observations are following:

All maps are work quite good in device, it is not easy to tell which is
the fastest.

I can measure differences in redraw time between both version of
cgpsmapper maps, the one with TreSize=511 can be up to 50% faster in
some operations (measured in nuvi 1440).

Map compiled with mkgmap is fast, as good as faster version of cgpsmapper.

Since mkgmap creates fast maps, I'm not sure now, if subdivision size is
so important. Maybe not, or maybe there is still some room for
improvement in mkgmap?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej