logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Building northeast map

From Brian Egge brianegge at gmail.com on Wed Oct 29 01:53:28 GMT 2014

I've built my own gmappsup for the US Northeast and loaded it into my
Garmin. My script for doing so is roughly as follows:

[[ us-northeast-latest.osm.bz2 -nt northeast.om5 ]] && bzcat
us-northeast-latest.osm.bz2 | ../osmconvert/osmconvert - -o=northeast.om5
[[ northeast.om5 -nt northeast-boundaries.o5m ]] && ../osmfilter/osmfilter
northeast.om5 --keep-nodes= --keep-ways-relations="boundary=administrative
=postal_code postal_code=" -o=northeast-boundaries.o5m
java -cp ../mkgmap/dist/mkgmap.jar
uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.reader.osm.boundary.BoundaryPreprocessor
northeast-boundaries.o5m bounds/

java -jar ../mkgmap/dist/mkgmap.jar \
  --gmapsupp \
  --mapname=20355490 \
  --description="Northeast United States" \
  --country-name="United States" \
  --country-abbr=US \
  --region-name="Northeast" \
  --region-abbr=NE \
  --location-autofill=nearest \
  --housenumbers \
  --route \
  --add-pois-to-areas \
  --bounds=bounds \
  --add-pois-to-areas \
  --process-destination \
  --process-exits \
  *.osm.pbf

I've loaded the result onto my Garmin Nuvi. When I attempt to do an address
search, it first asks me for the City, but the cities I'm looking for don't
show up in the search. Oddly, when it shows the closest cities I can see
some of them, but when I do a text search it shows distant oddballs. For
example, with 'New York', I see:
New York, FL
New York, TX
New York Mills, MN

None of these are the New York I'm looking for. I don't even think they are
in my input file, but are perhaps coming from the internal memory on my GPS.

It does appear the NYC addresses are working better - I can see the Bronx
Zoo is in The Bronx and Carnegie Hall is in New York, however, I can't key
in an address to see if it works because of the address search issue.

Another thing which has me puzzled is why some POIs are not showing the
city/state. For example Desert Moon Grille
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3139391561> is in Danbury
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/33271879>, Connecticut. I can find it
doing a Food POI search. That works fine. But, when I select it, it shows
"Not_set, Fairfield County". Nomination gets the address perfect: Desert
Moon Fresh Mexican Grille, 113, Mill Plain Road, Danbury, Fairfield County,
Connecticut, United States of America
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3139391561> . I'm compiling my own
bounds file, so I'm surprised it hasn't worked.

Brian