logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Name Substitution not correctly working

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sun Jul 27 11:32:43 BST 2014

On 26/07/14 18:43, Felix Hartmann wrote:
> Okay - I used ANSI. Could there maybe be a check for this in the check
> styles routine, or in general?
> I do suppose that must have been the problem.

Although it is not always possible to tell if a file is in the wrong
encoding, it should have been in this case.  I see that the ì
character gets converted to a unicode replacement character (0xfffd)

If you had done:
	echo 'Shì'

it would have come out something like: Sh� (hope that works in email)
and shown the problem.

There are a couple of ways to make bad characters an error, rather
than getting replaced.  The attached patch allows them to
be replaced and then throws and error when seen. This has the
advantage of giving you file name and line number of the error.
It might interfere with something valid, so give it a try.

I don't use notepad++, but these links might be useful:

http://superuser.com/questions/292086/how-can-i-enforce-so-notepad-uses-utf-8-every-time-i-create-a-new-file

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5090845/change-the-default-encoding-for-notepad

..Steve