logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Fw: Re: Curvy routing support: new function?

From Manfred Brenneisen ManneB at gmx.net on Thu Jul 3 21:48:15 BST 2014

Hi Felix,

as far as I understand the Garmin algo, these penalties only take effect if you turn from one street into another (sharp edge > some deg, Garmin says "turn"). For straightly connected roads or road pieces, this does not appear (AFAIK)

In my bicycle maps, therefore I use only road_speeds of 2 or less so that turning penalties show little effect.

If used with car routing, curviness should only be used for lowering road_speed, e.g. on curvy roads without speed limit. With motorcycle maps, I'd like to increase road_speed for curvy road. Yes, penalties show more effect then. Then it is a question, how often you make use of the function. Of course curviness should not be used that much so that every light curvy road gets a road_speed of 7. It should be used that only very curvy roads get a bonus, and thus preferred better than with standard settings. As long as the other non-curvy or little-curvy roads get no benefit, the curvy ones will be preferred.
It's likely the same with road_class. Only ca. 5% of roads should be road_class 4, so a reduced main routing network exists.

Cheers
Manfred