logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Combining maps with differerent charset/code page into one mapset - Supress Warnings -

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Jun 30 11:46:01 BST 2014

Sorry for the late answer. I did not yet manage to recompile the Europe
map again, but all other geofabrik samples work fine. So I do think the
error was somewhere else...

As for the warning - please see my other post. I could not yet find any
problems related to mixing maps. I still have to check out why for some
people the maps show up locked on their device (I will ask them to try
out several things like leaving out the contourlines so the
mapset/gmapsupp is one single codepage).
As soon as I/we can track down the problem of why maps don't appear on
some GPS units or why they appear to be locked (on a completely hard
reset GPS with no other maps) I think the warning should be taken away
if no gmapsupp.img is compiled.

As for gmapsupp.img - well there are clearly some bugs as unicode maps
do not list on older garmin GPS units in case they are created by
mkgmap.jar while they do work as intended (meaning limited with no
codepage characters working at all) on old devices.

So my advice is for general map compilation. Continue to use --latin1
for all maps in countries where roman/latin script is predominant. Use
unicode for maps with other codepages even if there are users which
might have old generation devices. Well and I'm not sure yet what to do
for countries like China, Korea, Japan where the unicode implementation
is currently (well I did not check it out myself really) not yet working
because they use characters instead of alphabet...

--
keep on biking and discovering new trails

Felix
openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org