logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Fwd: Redundant information in city search results

From Paulo Carvalho paulo.r.m.carvalho at gmail.com on Sun Jun 29 12:16:51 BST 2014

Hi,

    Did someone take a look at this? (see mesage below, sent some days ago)

thanks,

Paulo

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paulo Carvalho <paulo.r.m.carvalho at gmail.com>
Date: 2014-06-24 18:19 GMT-03:00
Subject: Redundant information in city search results
To: Development list for mkgmap <mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk>

Greetings,

     I was testing a map compiled with mkgmap and I tried search in
"Cities" category.  The search result screen capture is attached.  Notice
that for each city the same text is unnecessarily repeated, taking up
display space.
     I know this could be avoided because I've seen a Garmin-made map (City
Navigator, compiled with Garmin's MPC) on the same GPS model that doesn't
display such redundant information.
    I don't know whether this is something up to mkgamp logic or something
I must work on my style files.  If the second is the case, then I'd like to
know some tips on how to avoid such duplication.
    Sorry, the cap is in Portuguese, but I think you'll recognize what's
going on.
    This is not really an issue, but some users are finding it somewhat
odd, thinking some other information could be put on the secondary field
(country? population? you name it...)
     I think any hi-res Nuvi model has this feature.  Low-res devices (such
as Nuvi 255w) don't display secondary information in the city search
results page.

many thanks and keep up with this great job,

Paulo