logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r3259: remove most checks regarding routable/non-routable types.

From Andrzej Popowski popej at poczta.onet.pl on Mon May 12 14:15:46 BST 2014

Hi Colin,

 > Users can customise the program and styles or develop their own, but
 > there is no mechanism to support sharing the nuances of each type of
 > device within the distribution.

I understand the problem but I don't think mkgmap code or default style
is a right place to solve it. We could expect more flexibility to create
conditional styles from mkgamp, but any hardcoded dependency on Garmin
hardware would be a nightmare to maintain.

Another aspect of this problem is that there is no single solution. You
could be interested in a map for Oregon while I'm interested in a map
for multiple devices. Our expectation for a mkgmap would be different.

Each developer decides, what objects to use on a map and which Garmin
type assign to an object. Even if I create a topo map, I try to select
Garmin types, that are visible in nuvi. I try to select objects for POI,
which fit reasonably well with search categories in Mapsource, outdoor
device and nuvi. In case of conflicts, I can prefer good solution for
outdoor device, while other developer could prefer nuvi. We both could
be unsatisfied, if mkgmap would prefer Mapsource.

I'm sure that any knowledge about particular behavior of a device is
very valuable for a developer. If mkgmap would allow for conditional
definition in a style, then your idea could lead to a separated project
of creating a configurable default style. I would be interested in it,
but I'm sure I won't use it without my own adaptations.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej