logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap ToDo list

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue May 6 11:12:12 BST 2014

Hi Felix,

thanks for the info regarding tile limits. I think there is not much we can
do in the program(s) to avoid that.

Reg. splitter called from mkgmap:
I think calling splitter from mkgmap is possible, but not simple.
1) We have to make sure that splitter.jar is available.
2) I can't simply call the Main routine of splitter, because
the code contains many calls to System.exit() which would
also end mkgmap. In other words, I have to call it creating a new JVM.
3) Reg. parameters for splitter: This is quite complex.
We can't simply use the parameters of the initial splitter call,
because e.g. no-trim , mapid, polygon-file,etc. have to be changed
to make sure that the result still fits into the map.
4) Next problem:
splitter output files like areas.list, *.kml, template.args
What should happen with them ?

In short:
I fear this change, it has a lot of potential to mess up things
and make the two programs more OS dependend :-(

I still think the better alternative would be to collect some kind of
statistic in mkgmap which is usable for splitter to weight
the number of nodes in a given area.
The process would then be:

if no feedback file exits, create an empty one
repeat
   - execute splitter with input file and feedback from mkgmap
  - execute mkgmap (which creates a new feedback file)
until mkgmap finishes with rc 0

This is also not simple, as I don't know how to calculate the feedback.
A first simple approach would be this:
bbox + size of img file

In the meantime I will try to find a better algo in splitter to avoid
very small output files. The current algo is happy if the
no tile has less then 1/3 of the --max-nodes value,
if that can't be done, it accepts also smaller values.

Gerd