logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] vehicles in restriction relations

From paco.tyson at free.fr paco.tyson at free.fr on Tue Apr 1 06:55:57 BST 2014

Hi Minko, Hi Gerd,

Selon Minko <ligfietser at online.nl>:

> Good question Gerd,
> I never realized that actually ;-)
> Route restrictions for cycling are hardly tagged I suppose,
> and if they apply for cars they are on places where you don't cycle anyway.

You're reminding me of a question I've got for mkgmap developers.

I'd like to know if the right turn on red
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_turn_on_red) is taken into account by
Garmin in their map format and routing algorithm. I guess yes because Garmin is
US-based, where this kind of traffic light is widespread and that it allows for
faster right turns.

Has anyone ever succeeded in reverse-engineering it in the map file format ?

It'd be great because we recently got a new sign in France allowing cyclists to
turn right on red after yielding to crossing pedestrians.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Turn_right_on_red.JPG).
In OSM, it's tagged with :
type=restriction
restriction:bicycle=give_way