logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Should mkgmap report overly detailed ways?

From Brett Russell brussell237 at live.com.au on Wed Mar 26 09:42:14 GMT 2014

Hi
I tend to be a rather detailed OSM mapper.  The practical issue is Garmins map's restrictions on defining points to around I think 2.5 metres means that I am less fussy now.  Trouble with reporting is many roundabouts would be pulled up.  As much as I use mkgmap there other applications that draw maps, and people like the pictures of roundabouts to look round.
Therefore, I think mkgmap will have to deal with as best what the OSM community maps.  Just my thoughts.
Cheers
From: gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
To: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:36:41 +0100
Subject: [mkgmap-dev] Should mkgmap report overly detailed ways?

Hi all,

I don't know if their is a rule for mappers, but the typical
way has not more than 2 nodes on a segment that is < 3m long.

Some routines (e.g. the new WrongAngleFixer) in mkgmap
have a lot of work with ways that are heavyly detailed.

It would be quite easy to report them like this:
Warning (POIGeneratorHook): e:\osm_out_work\ontario\20140302_095212\63240011.o5m: highly detailed way http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/100564006 has 362 nodes and is only ~ 77m long

The question is: Would anybody use this info reduce the details in OSM?