logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] problems with the add-poi-to-lines option

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed Mar 26 08:52:24 GMT 2014

Hi all,

I've reviewed the problem reported by Stephen:
http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/ontario-canada-maps-tp5798080.html

The error message is:
There is not enough room in a single garmin map for all the input data
   The .osm file should be split into smaller pieces first.

The problem has at least two reasons:
1) A mapper in that area prefers to create extremely detailed ways like this
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/188276794
(the river is  ~ 181m long and has 166 points, and many roads in that area are alike)

2) Stephen uses a style that adds more or less each generated POI to the map.

With r3128 I've committed a patch that detects duplicate points (in Garmin precision),
but that doesn't solve the problem completely, and it only works when --preserve-element-order is
active.

I don't know why Stephen wants all these POI, so maybe
the tags like mkgmap:line2poitype=start, mkgmap:line2poitype=end, and mkgmap:line2poitype=mid
are not helping him.

I think a better solution would be to change the POIGeneratorHook so that it generates
POI with a minimum distance of e.g. 5m, or at least no equal points.
I remember that this was discussed before, but couldn't find it in the archives.