logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] add-pois-to-areas

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Mar 24 12:06:06 GMT 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 12:39:27PM +0100, Andrzej Popowski wrote:
>> For example, a parking facility or a building could be tagged both
>> as a point at the entrance, and as an area.
>
>This is against OSM good practice, see recommendations:
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/One_feature,_one_OSM_element

I do not think that it is a case of defining multiple elements for one
feature. If we think of a building, the shape of its outline is one
feature, and the location of the main entrance is another. Knowledge of
both is needed in order to find a route. You cannot normally walk over
or through a building, and you can only enter it via an entrance.
Therefore, it could be misleading to route to a POI in the middle of the
building outline.

>I guess, that it's not easy to reliable detect duplicates. Maybe better
>correct problem at source?

AFAICT, the source of the problem is the area-to-POI conversion, which
does not take into account that a more accurate POI (at the boundary of
the area) exists.

	Marko