logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Feedback on mkgmap r3111

From Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de on Tue Mar 18 14:06:58 GMT 2014

Hi,

during the last two days I had the chance to compare a lot
of long distance routing of my Garmin 62s (Firmware 5.30, so newest
one with activity routing) with my map generated with mkgmap r3111
and a commercial built in car navigation system.

The routing on long distance between both devices was the same.
The difference between the km the 62s calculated and we drove was
about 1%, the time about 3%.
Inside of cities on short routes the 62s did choose the better
routes, but I think that's only because the OSM data was more up-to-date.

So the "NOD127" branch was really a very good job!

There were only two negative aspects:
- the 5.30 firmware for the 62s is a nightmare in stability and
  usability :(
- if you enable "avoid u-turns", the 62s will not only avoid them,
  but really never does them, even if it means there is no legal way
  to continue. Means in two situations we were suggested to use a cycleway
  or a footway. That's reproduceable with the 62s, but not with MapSource,
  so I think it's a firmware bug.
  (if somebody wants to try: Route to "Tigerpalast" in Frankfurt a. Main and
   continue with Routing to "Lange Strasse 30-36" with "avoid u-turn"
   enabled, car, fastest route).

  Thorsten