logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Warnings about hyper-precise multipolygons

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Mar 17 20:45:54 GMT 2014

Hi Gerd,

>if you are talking about the messages from ShapeMergeFilter: A possible
>reason is a self intersecting polygon. The filter assumes that shapes
>are not self intersecting, but it doesn't test this yet.

About a week ago, I got a message that I thought was about merging
adjacent (non-overlapping) shapes that carry identical tags. I cannot
find such a message now. Here would be two examples of this:

These are hyper-precise multipolygons with two circles. Both the outer
ring (actually, the relation) and the inner ring carry the same tag
landuse=grass. Only the value of the golf=* attribute differs, but this
does not matter to the default style.

There used to be two polygons for the inner circle: the role=inner
polygon with no tags, and a duplicate polygon with the tags
landuse=grass,golf=green. I deleted the duplicate polygon and moved the
tags to the role=inner polygon. Tomorrow or the day after, I should see
if the mkgmap message is changing.

There still are a few hyper-precisely mapped multipolygons, for which
mkgmap is emitting messages. It is no problem for me to keep these
relations in my ignore list. I usually monitor the output with "grep -vf
logging.ignore mkgmap.log.0". Many relations that were on my ignore list
are no longer generating errors. Either the data has been changed, or
the higher precision is helping, or both.

	Marko