logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] default style and underground pipelines

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Feb 18 09:04:59 GMT 2014

Hi Gerd,

>is it intended that these ways are placed in the map?
>sample:
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/60575011
>
>man_made=pipeline
>type=water
>location=underground
>
>This rule in lines fires:
>
>man_made=cable|(man_made=* & man_made ~ '.*pipe.*')
>{name '${name} (${operator})' | '${name}' | '${operator}' }
>[0x28 resolution 23]

I wrote this rule with visible features in mind, such as oil or gas
pipelines in rural areas. In well-mapped urban areas, this can cause
unnecessary clutter, just like subways and tunnels with access=private,
which are being omitted by the default style.

Maybe there should be a way to limit the visibility of some objects
based on the map density or nearby map features. If a cycleway or
highway is parallel to a pipeline, then the pipeline should be hidden
except maybe in resolution=24. Likewise, if a cycleway is parallel to a
highway, it should be hidden at lower zoom levels. If there are two
antiparallel oneways for a highway=*, only one should be generated at
lower zoom levels.

Best regards,

	Marko