logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Questions about carpool handling

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Wed Dec 4 21:09:49 GMT 2013

Hi,

I am still very irritated about the meaning of the carpool bit of every
road.
The handling in the trunk is not consistent. It is handled in the
following way and order:
access=yes/1/true => carpool bit is cleared
access=no/private => carpool bit is set
carpool=yes/1/true => carpool bit is cleared
carpool=no/private => carpool bit is set
mkgmap:carpool=yes/1/true => carpool bit is cleared (emergency and bus
is also cleared, all other bits are set)

Some examples:
highway=primary;access=yes           the carpool bit is not set
highway=primary                      the carpool bit is set
highway=primary;carpool=yes          the carpool bit is not set
highway=path;access=no;foot=yes      the carpool bit is set
highway=secondary;mkgmap:carpool=yes the carpool bit is not set

Can anybody explain how the carpool bit works? And how mkgmap should
handle this bit? It should be handled correctly in the mergeroads branch.

I found some threads which did not give the complete solution for me:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2009q4/005873.html
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2010q1/006277.html
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2011q4/012919.html
Also a lot of threads complaining about non reliable carpool handling. I
think above examples are a good explanation for this.

WanMil