logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] bearing/heading influence on routing

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sat Oct 26 20:25:05 BST 2013

Hi Gerd

> great. I got lost looking at the different tools (NetDisplay,
> NodDisplay, NodConvert, NetCheck),

Ha! I didn't realise or remember that Robert had written NodConvert.
That could be useful.

There is also imgdecode, which is at the top of the display project.
There are a few updates to John Mechalas's implementation so that
it doesn't crash on modern files.  It is best for TRE LBL and for
RGN if you don't need the complete set of points.

> and mkgmap itself also reads the data for the combiners,
There is only minimal read code in mkgmap and I try to do things
in display first.

> If I got this right, we are pretty good (=sure what we do) at reading
> RGN, LBL and NET, while
> NOD1 data is difficult to read, and looking at the output of NodDisplay

Well there are still a few problems reading NET as well.

So NOD1 has the most complex structure, but at least there are
section that have a length so we can always re-sync.

> Or more generally: Start reading what is known best, extract and store
> pointers,

Yes, we have had code like that before, sometimes I take it out once
it is not needed any more.

..Steve