logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] bearing/heading influence on routing

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Oct 24 05:44:15 BST 2013

Hi Steve,

> I'd be interested in helping out it if possible.

great. I got lost looking at the different tools (NetDisplay, NodDisplay, NodConvert, NetCheck),
and mkgmap itself also reads the data for the combiners,
all implement maybe 50% of what I'd like to have, and the code is hard to understand.

If I got this right, we are pretty good (=sure what we do) at reading RGN, LBL and NET, while
NOD1 data is difficult to read, and looking at the output of NodDisplay for my Garmin
map I see too many errors like "lost sync".
So, as a first step, I'd like to have a routine that reads NET and maybe also LBL and stores
all offsets to NOD1 in a HashMap, similar to nod1recs in NodDisplay.
Finally, the NOD1 read routine should use the HashMap to resync.
Or more generally: Start reading what is known best, extract and store pointers,
and use them to verify further read actions.
Missing or empty sections should not stop the processing, e.g. my
original map contains an empty NET2 and NET3 section.

A test program should be able to call a few routines to read data and than
be able to analyse or convert NOD data.