logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] TYP compiler: problem with points with ID 0x6620 (Type=0x066 SubType=0x20)

From keenonkites keenonkites at gmx.net on Wed Oct 23 18:28:41 BST 2013

Gents,

I don't think it's a bug in the typ compiler, but at least a strange
behaviour that either needs 'correction', a warning or an error message
during the run.... and most probably also some documentation update.

I have the following text int the source txt file (point ID 0x6620):

    [_point]
    Type=0x066
    SubType=0x20
    String1=0x00,Information Office
    String2=0x01,Information Office
    String3=0x02,Information Office
    String4=0x04,Information Office
    [end]

If I compile that with mkgmap and open up the binary TYP file with
TypViewer then I see that it got 'converted' into (point ID 0x6600)

    [_point]
    Type=0x066
    SubType=0x00
    String1=0x00,Information Office
    String2=0x01,Information Office
    String3=0x02,Information Office
    String4=0x04,Information Office
    [end]

This strange conversion matches what I've seen on the map and which
caused some investigations and at the end this email.

BTW: similar thing happens if I use TypViewer to compile the source txt
file into a binary TYP file: it changes the mentioned point from ID
0x6620 into ID 0x6700.

Is there a well known limitation for the subtype values I haven't
found/seen ? I was looking on the web but couldn't find anything about
given Type and SubType combination being invalid/not allowed. But I've
found the following web page stating somehow that given combination is
possible and valid:

    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/POI_Types

Any ideas or explanations ?

Thanks in advance