logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem with compiling TYP containing Cyrillic characters (mkgmap r2673)

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Tue Oct 8 23:10:33 BST 2013

On 08/10/13 13:42, keenonkites wrote:
> Converting the file to UTF-8 without BOM runs through properly. The
> resulting TYP is usable but doesn't show correct strings... looks like
> it interpretes the encoding incorrect, though..... you need a screenprint ?

I have a patch for detecting files that begin with a BOM and forcing it
to be read as utf-8

The second issue is that we allow the typ txt file to be written in the
same character set as its declared CodePage as well as utf-8.  As it is
not possible to tell what encoding/character set a file uses this leads
to errors if the file does not follow those rules. The patch now makes
utf-8 a much stronger default. So if trying to read with CodePage fails
it will revert to utf-8.

The third issue is what should happen if the --code-page is different
to the CodePage in the file. It would be consistent with the behaviour
in other parts of the program for any file CodePage to be ignored if
a command line --code-page is given. This is still needs doing.

..Steve