logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Utilizing route=bicycle relations in long-distance routing

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Oct 7 21:49:19 BST 2013

As we all know, bicycle routing is hard. Unlike motor vehicle traffic,
where there is a clear hiearchy of roads, the bicycle road network
consists of all sorts of roads.

In my area, there are no clear 'bicycle trunk roads' or 'bicycle
motorways' that could be used as the backbone of a longer journey. I
guess that the situation could be better in more bicycle-friendly
countries, such as Denmark or the Netherlands.

I was thinking that maybe we could tweak the bicycle routing by
increasing the weight or speed of ways that belong to a route=bicycle
relation, or by defining 'wormholes' between some points of the
relation. I guess that this is not doable in the default style, which
aims to be 'neutral' for all modes of transport, but I guess it could
make a huge difference in a bicycle-oriented map.

FWIW, I just defined a 25km route relation that could be useful for
testing: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/3252216
IMO, this is much better than the NCN 4 in this area.

Has anyone experimented with this kind of tweaks to routing? Would this
bypass the limitation that the Garmin Edge 705 seems to ignore cycleways
for the middle section of a route?

	Marko