logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] converting post codes to cities

From gbbickerton gbbickerton at yahoo.com on Fri Sep 13 13:05:13 BST 2013

I have tried using
mkgmap:postal_code=* & mkgmap:area2poi=true { add place=city; set
name=$(addr:postcode); delete addr:postcode }
but I am getting a lot of "point number to big" error messages and map
compilation fails, is there a limit to the number of poi in a map ?
I also have <tag k='place' v=’locality'/> in the osm file so maybe every
post code is used twice, I think there are about 1600000 of them.
My post codes are 7 digit eg ( NE46 3JB) which I think is the addr:postcode
tag and that postal_code is for an area post code eg (NE46) so I probably
don't need the & mkgmap:area2poi=true test.
Using just <tag k='place' v=’locality'/> does not create a map that a Nuvi
200 can find post codes in  but I have not tried other gps's or basecamp
yet.