logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Basecamp, mkgmap and bicycle routing

From Leonardo Brondani Schenkel leonardo.schenkel at gmail.com on Tue Aug 6 22:31:13 BST 2013

On 06/08/2013 23:10, Minko wrote:
> Instead, in the bicycle profile Garmin has turned by default the carpool avoidance is turned on.
> This affects all roads with the OSM tags access=no or motorcar=no (routing is blocked)
> This means that you need to uncheck carpool avoidance in the bicycle activity or use another activity (but then routing over motorways are still likely because bicycle=no is not respected). Avoiding interstate highways isnt a good choice because in the latest version 4.2.2 routing over tile borders will be broken.

I'm not sure if I understood what you mean. In my Basecamp the checkbox
is checked and disabled (greyed out) for the bicycling profile so it's
impossible to uncheck it.

> The only solution is making all roads that are not accesible for cycling not routable.
> This I have done with the Openfietsmap (Lite) style:
> http://code.google.com/p/mkgmap-style-sheets/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fstyles%2FOpenfietsmap%20lite
>
> You can download the maps at http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl (worldwide)

I am aware of your Openfietsmap style; since you mentioned it I would
like to seize the opportunity to thank you for your great work on it.

The reason I am not using it is because I was playing around with mkgmap
and I was investigating the possibility of making a single map that can
be used for: walking, bicycling (the most important), and driving. I
made a local Mercurial repository for my own style and I pulled the
default mkgmap style, the 'world' style from garmin.openstreetmap.nl,
and your openfietsmap style (all from a local Mercurial repository
converted from Subversion) so I could merge and inspect the diffs
between them.

Unfortunately this whole idea does not seem to be viable, unless my
eTrex 20 behaves differently and does actually respects the road
restrictions.

If I understood your approach correctly, the only way to achieve this in
practice is to have a separate routable map for each activity, and the
non-car maps "cheat" by working around Garmin's routing quirks and
playing around with the line types, road classes, speed classes, road
surface, etc. The GPS is always left in car mode and the right map has
to be turned on (and the others off) when changing activities. Is this
correct?

Thanks for the quick reply,
Leonardo.