logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] misshapen roundabouts

From GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Fri Jul 26 07:41:32 BST 2013

Hi,

Felix Hartmann-2 wrote
> I deem in future we need to have an option in the style-file - to
> declare ways, which should be moved by mkgmap in such a way, that the
> resulting connection lies on a straight line of the other ways it meets!
> Else as soon as this micromapping gets more - the will be no more usable
> maps in cities. (not showing these ways is no help, as there are now
> additional nodes as part of the streets, and there needs to be some
> clever algorythm to delete such nodes.

While working on the removeShortArcsByMergingNodes() method I also
noticed these effects.
Quite often you find the situation that a node of the large road is merged
with a node tagged as barrier on a cycleway which leads to this road.
There is no simple rule which node is kept, so it happens quite often
that the "more important" node is moved.
Example: the node with the barrier at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/255210570
is likely to be merged with
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/26965075

This also partly explains why round-abouts are looking so ugly.
I was working on a patch for this, I think I'll continue when it's getting
cooler again.