logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Question about bicycle routing

From Minko ligfietser at online.nl on Mon Jun 10 21:41:02 BST 2013

> Now if I remove the 'access=no', then it just works.
> Experimenting a bit more, adding a 'add motorcar=no' causes it to
> misbehave
> again.
>
> Does anybody know what is going on?

Yep, you can search the archives for "active routing" and "Basecamp"

In bicycle mode, everything is avoided which has either access=no or motorcar=no on it.
Why? Because this seems to correspond with carpool avoidance* in the internal routing of Garmin.
In the bicycle profile this is the default setting (you can turn it off if no profile is set, or use the car or motorcycle profile). In some gps units, one can (de)select carpool avoidance in the bicycle profile (new Etrex series?) in the Oregon 600 you cant, garmin has this hardcoded. So with the default style, the bike modus is crap in this unit. For my Openfietsmap bicycle maps, I dont use access=no & bicycle=yes but simply give all non cycleble roads a not routable line. But this means also that we can't use the default style for all kinds of vehicles anymore, unless you use Mapsource and older firmware or older GPS units.

(* Please not that this doesn't have anything to do with carpool=no or mkgmap's carpool flag!)