logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap and "memory-full-error"

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Thu May 30 14:05:07 BST 2013

Hi

> Wild guess by me: Oregons like the 62 have, beside the internal,
> accessible memory, another, hidden internal memory, where it seems
> they store index and other informations about the installed maps and
> gpx files.

I would agree that the new units seem to store or cache some details
of the map.

The thing that I've noticed is this.  I will be trying to track down
a bug in the index and so have the same map compiled with two
different versions of mkgmap, one which has the bug and one with
a possible fix.

- Try the original map and see the bug
- Try the new map and see the bug has gone
- Recompile the original map and load it again - bug is back.

The only difference that re-compiling should make is that the
timestamps within the gmapsupp.img are different. The timestamp of the
gmapsupp.img itself will always be greater because I always copy over
the previous one.

So these things may or may not be related, but if anyone does see
something wierd and inconsistant on one of the newer devices, then it
is worth trying to re-compile the map and re-load to see if that
helps.

..Steve