logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap and "memory-full-error"

From Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de on Thu May 30 11:59:01 BST 2013

On Thu, May 30, Bernd Weigelt wrote:

> Am 29.05.2013 23:41, schrieb GerdP:
>

> Hello
>
> no, Gerd, this is a problem with some maps build with mkgmap, but it is
> not seen on every Oregon. It also happened, if the maps are installed on
> the SD-card.

Wild guess by me: Oregons like the 62 have, beside the internal,
accessible memory, another, hidden internal memory, where it seems
they store index and other informations about the installed maps and
gpx files.
Garmin maps seems to have a version number, which you can set with
mkgmap, too, but most map developer don't do and increase this.
So the firmware sometimes get confused if you update the map, but the
version number stays identical.
The 62 has the same problem with gpx files, too, if the content changes,
but not the name: for some people the devices crashes regular in this case,
while other have no problem.
Every time I have the feeling with my 62, that the internal cache is
out of sync (for the maps I see this if POI searches suddenly take
much longer then before), I save my profile, do a hard reset, restore
the profile. And everything is back to normal.

  Thorsten