logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] improving address search

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu May 23 19:45:35 BST 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 08:28:57PM +0200, WanMil wrote:
>Hi Minko,
>
>it would be possible. But I fear that this would be the start point for
>a bunch of rules which names match and which names do not match:
>
>Main Street
>MainStreet
>Main Str.
>Main St.
>Main
>main street
>Mein Street
>Str. Main
>Main Road

Sure about the "Mein Street"? :-)

This is a bit in the "garbage in, garbage out" category. What about very
similar street names, such as Mäyräkuja and Myyräkuja that are very
close to each other? Or lots of $basename{tie,kuja,polku,rinne} next to
each other? Or, in Estonia, you should not mix the street name suffixes
tn and mnt. I wonder if there is any misspelled "nt" that could be
either "mnt" (first letter missing) or "tn" (transposed).

I am against automatic "correction" of the data. If this is implemented,
it should be issuing warnings, and map makers should either fix or
blacklist those warnings on a case-by-case basis. (By blacklisting, I
mean something like "grep -vf blacklist.txt mkgmap.log.0" and adding
suitable regexps to blacklist.txt to suppress bogus warnings).

Best regards,

	Marko