logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Adaptions in style (needed to make good use of) for overview2 branch

From Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl on Mon May 20 16:47:10 BST 2013

place=capital can surely never be right. The place is not a capital
INSTEAD of being a village/town/city etc. The "capital" bit is the
status of the place within an administrative entity and the place. The
place can have a different capital status in different admin areas at
the same time. Being the capital of admin_level=2 does not imply it is
also the capital of the lower-level areas. E.g. (symbolic) capital of
the Netherlands is Amsterdam which is in the province of North Holland;
the provincial capital is Haarlem, not Amsterdam. The only way to
represent this properly is in by linking the admin area to the place
which is its capital, i.e. the admin_level=2 relation links/points to
Amsterdam and the admin_level=4 relation links/points to Haarlem.

Colin

On 2013-05-20 16:03, Felix Hartmann wrote:

> so far
"place=capital | place=capitol" worked very well that's why I

put/proposed it in the default style. Have you checked that there are

actual capital cities, not capitol or capital?
> For the mail here I
just named one...
> On 20.05.2013 06:30, Minko wrote:
>
>> If you
combine capital=yes it with place=city and a certain population number
(>500.000?) you can filter all less important capitals (for instance
those of smaller countries/ mini nations, states and provinces or even
lower districts) for the lower zoomlevels. You can also look if those
capitals of lower admin. districts are part of a relation lower <
admin_level=2 to filter them out. So this way I think you can avoid that
capital cities / towns that are either too small or not a capital of a
nation are rendered too early.

>>> Hi, capital=yes is also used for
regional capitals, eg. capital of a county or lower administrative
areas. Note: there are only 193 countries accepted by UN and additional
13 ones not accepted. So I would recommend to use is_capital=country in
combination with place=city.

mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk

Links:
------