logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] overview2 branch -- sea not rendered at resolution 12

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Wed May 8 13:58:20 BST 2013

No, they are already missing.
---Changing --min-size-polygon=12 to --min-size-polygon=1 and they
appear. I think the problem is the size of the sea tiles as they are cut
down into smaller polygons by mkgmap itself - because in the input data
they are big enough... However therefore I tried around all min-sizes
regarding the resolution to see what works!

So here is a list of the biggest min-size-polygon usable currently:
1=good for resolution 10...
2=good for resolution 11, variable output on resolution 10
3=good for resolution 12, variable output on resolution 11
4=good for resolution 12, nearly no output on resolution 11
5=good for resolution 13, variable output on resolution 12, no more
output on resolution 11.
6=good for resolution 13, variable output on resolution 12
7=good for resolution 13, variable output on resolution 12
8=good for resolution 13, nearly no output on resolution 12
9=good for resolution 14, variable output on resolution 13
10=good for resolution 14, variable output on resolution 13
11=good for resolution 14, variable output on resolution 13, no more
output on resolution 12..
12=good for resolution 14, variable output on resolution 13, no more
output on resolution 12..

The strange thing about this is, that the sea in the input data is large
enough - I think the problem happens when splitting for subdivisions...

Overview2 branch - before multiple level overview map --
min-size-polygon=12 was fine. GpsMapedit says the resolution is 13. I
assume the min-size was not respected because the input data just got
carried forward from the last level in the maps - (and
--min-size-polygon=12 worked fine for resolution 14!)?
In that case mkgmap overview2 should take the following min-sizes - no
matter what is actually defined:

max min-size by resolution:
1- resolution 10 or lower (10 is working still in Mapsource, dunno about
9 or lower - I think not)
2- resolution 11
3- resolution 12
6- resolution 13
12- resolution 14
24- resolution 15
48- resolution 16
96- resolution 17
192-resolution 18
..... don't think anything that high makes sense, but better continue
upwards so it causes no problems. As the results are not really
consistent - I would rather take 3 for resolution 12, and not 4 - as
maybe closer/further away from the equator results may differ a bit!
Theese values above, are definitely safe - I never saw missing see
anywhere worldwide while using- min-size-polygon=12 at resolution 14...