logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] problems with style-file option

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Apr 27 10:02:52 BST 2013

Hi all,

while fixing a problem in the check-styles option I found (again) some issues regarding the --style-file and --style option.

The current implementation in mkgmap r2580 allows the following:
1) no --style-file option
2) --style-file=<path-to-directory>
3) --style-file=<path-to-single-file that is a zip (or jar) archive>
4) --style-file=<path-to-single-file with .style or .csv extension>

a) no --style option
b) --style=default
c) --style=<any other style name>

The combinations of these parms do not always give expected results.
I tested this:
a) copy the distributed styles to
c:\mystyles
b) create a copy of default in c:\mystyles\default_copy
c) create a zip file c:\temp\mystyles.zip containing this directory
d) create a zip file c:\temp\default_copy.zip containing directory default_copy and the corresponding files

Results:
D:\mkgmap\dist>java -jar mkgmap.jar --style-file=c:\mystyles e:\bremen\*.o5m
gives  error message "Could not open style c:\mystyles"
I'd prefer that it would try to read directory default or that it detects the missing --style option.

D:\mkgmap\dist>java -jar mkgmap.jar --style-file=c:\mystyles\xyz e:\bremen\*.o5m
gives "Could not open style c:\mystyles\xyz"
That's ok, maybe "style-file c:\mystyles\xyz doesn't exist" would be clearer?

D:\mkgmap\dist>java -jar mkgmap.jar --style-file=c:\temp\mystyles.zip e:\bremen\*.o5m
gives no error message, but used style contours_ft instead of default .
That's not ok.

java -jar mkgmap.jar --style=default --style-file=c:\temp e:\bremen\*.o5m
gives "Could not open style default"
That's ok.

I did not yet try the variant 4) as this seems not to be documented very well and is probably not in use.

Would it be ok to change mkgmap so that it works as I suggested?

Ciao,