logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] highway=track with no road_class and road_speed set breaks routing ## was ## "No roads near target" bug in Schwabmünchen

From Franco Bez franco.bez at web.de on Fri Apr 12 21:30:47 BST 2013

Hi Gerd,

An idea just crossed my mind that could lead to a solution of the
routing problem.

To make sure I understood the problem correctly I summarize the facts:
1. to make the Garmin device announce a "roundabout" it is neccessary
that the type of the road is 0x0c
2. we want to have different looks for different kinds of roundabouts,
so we need another type for the displayed road.
3. overlays create two roads, one (road1) that is routable and has the
type 0x0c (a roundabout), and a second one (road2) that is not routable
but drawn on top of the other so it's responsible for the looks on the map.
4. If we choose a type for road2 that is not in the range of "routable"
types the optics of the map is not good. Bernd tested this many times.
5. if we use a "routable" type for road2 we might get broken routing
because a "routable" type without road_class and road_speed is entered
into the map

My idea is as follows.

Why don't we just assign the lowest possible road_class and road_speed
to the overlayed road2 when it has routable type ?
Wouldn't there be no more routable types without road_speed and road_class ?
Wouldn't the Garmin Firmware be "happy" ?
Wouldn't the "better" and "faster" road1 be picked by the firmware for
actual routing, as the road2 has the lowest possible class and speed and
is therefore discarded ?

What do you think ?
Would this be possible ?
Or is this just a crazy idea ?