logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Translation system proposal

From franco_bez franco.bez at web.de on Thu Apr 11 08:04:15 BST 2013

Marko Mäkelä wrote
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:04:20PM -0700, franco_bez wrote:
>>I was wondering if it weren't possible to use the built-in translations
>>of the Garmin Device itself.
>>I mean the translations in the *.gtt Files from the GARMIN/Text
>>directory on the Garmin device.
>>Exit would be TXT_Exit_STR_M
>
> Is the GARMIN/Text a feature of newer devices? I do not remember seeing
> anything like that on my Edge 705.

I have this on the Oregon 550 and the Nüvi 40, I don't know about older
devices.
This is a set of xml Files where the Firmware gets the translations when you
change the language setting.

>>Has anyone ever tried whether or not we can use GARMIN Text Constants
>>in the map ?
>
> As far as I understand, the 'default name' of unnamed things can be
> defined in the TYP file, for every supported language code. In NT maps
> (which mkgmap cannot generate) you could represent object names in
> multiple languages (say, street names in French or Dutch in Belgium,
> selectable on the device).

I noticed that when there is no name at all in the map, then the firmware
uses a (translated) default, probably based on the typ-id of the Object.

Ciao,
 Franco