logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Translation system proposal

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Apr 11 06:29:36 BST 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:04:20PM -0700, franco_bez wrote:
>I was wondering if it weren't possible to use the built-in translations
>of the Garmin Device itself.
>I mean the translations in the *.gtt Files from the GARMIN/Text
>directory on the Garmin device.
>Exit would be TXT_Exit_STR_M

Is the GARMIN/Text a feature of newer devices? I do not remember seeing
anything like that on my Edge 705.

>Has anyone ever tried whether or not we can use GARMIN Text Constants
>in the map ?

As far as I understand, the 'default name' of unnamed things can be
defined in the TYP file, for every supported language code. In NT maps
(which mkgmap cannot generate) you could represent object names in
multiple languages (say, street names in French or Dutch in Belgium,
selectable on the device).

FWIW (this would require changes to the Garmin firmware) I think that
language and country should be kept separate.  Ideally, it should be
something like the language selection on web browsers. The user would
give his list of preferred languages in the order of preference. The
first matching language would be chosen for display, among all name:* in
the OSM data.

This would imply that all name:*=* strings would be carried over to the
map, so that the user can select the language dynamically. It could be
doable after deciphering the NT format, or in a new map application such
as OsmAnd.

	Marko