logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] wrong elevationprofiles

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Apr 1 18:16:33 BST 2013

yup, garmin maps made with a DEM, are created either using a pirated
Garmin Map Compiler (MPC), or by directly pirating a DEM from a Garmin
map. Several "open" maps float around in the web, doing this. It's
definitely no way to go for mkgmap and OSM.....

Profile for routes works, shading no. (exception being using polygons
for shading , but that is crudgy).
On 01.04.2013 16:52, Geoff Sherlock wrote:
> I was intrigued enough to test this map. It certainly contains DEM data as a
> test route of two points across a deep valley showed a lovely profile on my
> device. But looking at the cgpsmapper manual DEM data cannot be created from
> it, only DEM-like maps (see link below) which should be able to show shaded
> relief but I can't see them showing route profiles.
>
> http://www.cgpsmapper.com/download/Creating%20custom%20types%20to%20represent%20elevation%20data.pdf
>
> So how was the DEM created?! Put it this way I am removing this map from my
> system; and will not be re-installing until I can be sure of it's legality.
>
> Geoff.

keep on biking and discovering new trails

Felix
openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org