logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Overview map for Africa

From GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Mar 28 14:08:00 GMT 2013

WanMil wrote
> What about the following ideas:
>
> 1. Retrieve the data from the highest instead of the lowest level. The
> lowest level often contains fragmentary data, e.g. have a look a the
> boundaries in your example image
> http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/file/n5754697/africa_overview.png
> The data could be merged so that long ways are created that do not fall
> through the filters (DouglasPeucker etc.). The MapReader.linesForLevel
> and other methods must have filters that returns only selected garmin id
> types.

Sounds reasonable and should be easy to implement.

WanMil wrote
> 2. Use a separate overview style file and fetch the Garmin ids out of
> it. Then use these Garmin ids to build the overview map. I think the
> overview map should be configurable (one likes to see motorways, others
> like to see rivers etc.)
> Maybe it would also be possible to add a special overview statement or
> use special overview levels in the normal style files to achieve the same.

I sill have no clear idea what we need. I think at least a list of wanted
types for
each class (point,line,polygon). Or maybe more complex to allow the creation
of multiple levels in the overview map.

WanMil wrote
> 3. In case --precomp-sea parameter is set the data from an additional
> file in the precompiled sea folder is used.

You mean this additional file could provide all wanted info like level2-
boundaries, rivers, etc.?