logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Overview map for Africa

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Tue Mar 26 10:27:48 GMT 2013

BTW: here is the old thread about the overview map branch:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2010q3/008700.html

And there is clearly a second huge problem. The branch only used the
created .img files in order to make a new overview map. However that
defeats it's purpose.
The resulting overview map is used, and yes, it probably (though I'm not
even sure about it) speeds up Mapsource/Basecamp/Qlandkarte GT when
zoomed out, but the main problem remains. With all that low resolutions
in the actual normal .img files, there is no speedup for the GPS device,
where those low resolutions are a PITA.
So there needs to be a clear separation of overview map, vs normal map
in the resolution levels.

Also it would be great, if for subsequent mkgmap runs with different
input data, the overview map data could be reused, and simply tiles
added without adding information. (e.g. you create one map, and want to
have it a) including contourlines b)without contourlines - so you need
to separate overview maps, one referencing the contourlines .img files,
one not referencing them. At the same time the map data of both overview
maps, should be the same of course and it would be a waste of time
running mkgmap twice just because now the overview map is not created
from the standard *.img files anymore).

On 26.03.2013 10:56, GerdP wrote:
> Minko-2 wrote
>> If I look at your overviewmap the coastline seems still very detailed.
>> How many tiles is this overview map (just one?).
>> Is it possible to use another shape for the continent(s) or maybe a
>> filtered
>> osm coastline that throws away all the small details like islands and
>> stuff?
>>
>> Is it possible to update this branch version so we can experiment a bit
>> with the overview map?
> It is one tile with < 5 Mb.
> The branch is r1666 and t1659 was merged with trunk, so I can try to merge
> current trunk with the old code, but first I'd like to know why development
> was stopped.
>
> Gerd
>

> --

keep on biking and discovering new trails

Felix
openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org